Well, finding stock for my small flock of ducks is proving quite the challenge. I have researched numerous hatcheries and thought I had found one in Missouri...only to discover they have a minimum shipping weight of 4 pounds when I went to order my babies. That would mean I'd have to order at least 20 ducklings! That is not a small flock for our little yard. The need for so many is to keep the little ones warm on their trip. While it sounds cruel and dangerous to mail order ducklings, many sources have reassured me that it's the most humane way to transport them short of customers just picking them up at the hatchery. Very low mortality rate and a fun surprise for postal staff.
Thankfully, Ben found a couple of local hatcheries...one of which will sex the ducklings, which I really need to have done. I can't go straight run (a mix of males and females) because I'm not looking to breed ducks. Hopefully some more research and I'll have my ducklings found. I was shooting to have them by Memorial Day Weekend, but I doubt that will happen now. Sigh.
Last weekend I got my grass planters put together. Ben and I had some scrap railing sleeves from building our deck that I cut shorter to varying lengths. I then stapled wire mesh to the bottom of each piece and then glued pieces together to create different designs. I chose four different types of grass...hopefully the ducks will enjoy them! The whole purpose behind the planters is so the ducks can eat down the grass, remove the planters from their run (rotating in other planters), allow the grass to revive and put it back in the run again...a constant rotation should keep both ducks and grasses happy and thriving. At least that's how I envision it happening!
(Click pictures to enlarge)